Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.
FIFTH GIGANET ANNUAL SYMPOSIUM
13 September 2010
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GIGANET) is seeking submissions of research about Internet Governance
presented at the Fifth GigaNet Annual Symposium, on 13 September 2010,
day before the United Nations Internet Governance Forum (IGF), in
GigaNet is a scholarly community that promotes the development of Internet Governance as a recognized,
of study and facilitates informed dialogue on policy issues and related
between scholars and governments, international organizations, the
sector and civil society. For more information, please visit http://giga-net.org/
Since 2006, GigaNet has organized an Annual Symposium to showcase the research about Internet Governance, focusing
interdisciplinary approach. Prior successful symposia in Greece (2006),
(2007), India (2008) and Egypt (2009) lead us to the Fifth GigaNet
Symposium at Lithuania in 2010.
Interested scholars should submit abstracts of research papers no later than July 15th, 2010, through EasyChair platform at:
GigaNet is interested in receiving abstracts related to Internet Governance themes, especially those containing
approaches and/or emerging research areas related to the following
1. Assessing the results, effectiveness and renewal process of the Internet Governance Forum;
2. The ICANN Affirmation of Commitment and its implications for the accountability of ICANN;
3. Policies for governing critical internet resources, such as IDNs, gTLDs, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses;
4. Intermediary responsibility in the Internet environment;
5. How copyright and trademark protection relate to Internet Governance, including new treaties such as ACTA;
6. Cyber-security and cyber-crime;
7. Implications of Internet Governance mechanisms and processes for development and developing countries;
8. Balance between openness, privacy and security from the Internet Governance perspective;
9. Innovative methods for Internet governance research.
10. Globally-applicable principles on public
policy issues for Internet
Governance in the context of the Tunis Agenda and Geneva Declaration of
11. Multistakeholderism in Internet Governance: stakeholders, strategies of participation and collaboration including national and regional levels;
Paper proposals should be submitted following these requirements:
Ø An abstract of 800-1000 words, in English, where it is mandatory to describe the main research goal(s) and the
background of the paper.
Ø A one page curriculum vitae focused on institutional affiliations, advanced degrees, scholarly publications and
in the field of Internet Governance and related issues (for example
The Program Committee members will evaluate the abstracts submitted and decisions will be sent to applicants by e-mail
Accepted papers for oral presentations should be followed by a full research paper by September 1st. Some quality papers submitted that are
accepted for oral presentations will be recommended for poster
Accepted speakers and poster presenters’ submissions and final papers will be published on the GigaNet website.
The GigaNet Annual Symposium is free of charge, although a registration process will be required close to the event.
continue visiting our website.
- Slavka Antonova, University of North Dakota, USA
- Lamees El Baghdady, Modern Sciences and Art University, Egypt
- Roy Balleste, St. Thomas University, USA
- Olga Cavalli, South SSIG, Argentina
- Dmitry Epstein, Cornell University, USA
- Marianne Franklin, University of London, UK
- Raquel Gatto - PC Chair, PUC-SP, Brazil
- Konstantinos Komaitis - Membership Chair, University of Strathclyde, UK
- Brenden Kuerbis - Communications Chair, Syracuse University, USA
- Nanette Levinson, American University, USA
- Milton Mueller - GigaNet Chair, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
15 July: abstract submission deadline (no extension will be granted).
01 August: notification of acceptance.
01 September: deliverance of final papers.
13 September: Fifth GigaNet Annual Symposium.
Venue and accommodations
Please check the Vilnius UN Internet Governance Forum information at
If you have any question related to the submissions or the symposium
activities, please e-mail giganetPC2010@gmail.com