DiploFoundation will conduct a two-year capacity building project for ACP (Africa/Caribbean/Pacific) countries under the @CP-ICT Programme financed from the 9th European Development Fund (EDF). The focus will be on building capacity and community development in Internet Governance (IG) and Information and Communication Policy (ICT) for Intra-ACP regional and sub-regional Institutions.
With the collaboration of seven ACP partner institutions, the project will train key beneficiaries and institutions who are dealing with Internet Governance and ICT policy issues at the national, regional and global levels. The project will be conducted over the next two years through the following activities:
• Three online training courses, each two months long, in Internet Governance and ICT strategy;
• A ‘train the trainers’ programme, whereby a select number of successful participants will be trained as tutors for subsequent training courses;
• A policy research phase comprising 12 research groups aimed at promoting intra-ACP knowledge sharing and an active learning network;
• Ten face-to-face workshops in selected ACP countries for IG/ICT policy officials;
• A ‘knowledge sharing’ visualisation programme encompassing the use of visual and other multimedia resources targeted at all relevant beneficiaries, including youth and women groups; and
• A policy immersion phase for successful participants to participate in relevant fellowship programmes and attend regional IG/ICT meetings.
Over 300 ACP officials and other specialists will be trained online and in face-to-face workshops throughout the project. The project will be a basis for building a community of IG and ICT policy makers throughout all ACP countries, aimed at developing good practices in ICT policy regulations and promoting greater stakeholder awareness of IG and ICT issues. The training of trainers will ensure the preparation of the next generation of IG/ICT policy makers.
The project relies on DiploFoundation’s expertise in the field of Internet Governance capacity building, and over ten years working in online learning and community building. Coupled with the national and regional ICT policy expertise of the ACP project partners and relevant experts, the project will bring together a wealth of IG and ICT knowledge. Participants will be active contributors in this project through their research work and the sharing of experiences and expertise through online and face-to-face discussions.
The project commences in mid-September 2009 with a total budget of 1.1 million Euros. The EU contribution is 85 percent while DiploFoundation with its project partners will cover the remaining 15 percent of the total budget.