Diplo Internet Governance Community

Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.

De - I do not know if you felt disappointed when you visited Alexandria. It is a good example of "managing expectations". There are high "visual" historical expectations linked to Alexandra (library, Cleopatra and other Ptolomeys, lighthouse). Most of it was destroyed by the waves of history. Today, it is a modern and cosmopolitan city. I have to admit that I visited Alexandria as a part of tour. The tour guide was not particularly inspiring. At that time the new Library was not open. I may have to visit Alexandria again with better guide. Any comment from somebody who is from Alexandria?

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Jovan,
I "visited Alexandria" on the pages of Lawrence Durrell's novels and through Cavafy's poetry. You comfort me though by talking about expectations. I don't expect to be able to visit the pyramids, the sphinx, the Nile, the wonderful museum. However, if I did, I think they would be different places from the places already in my imagination. So they are always there, waiting for me :-) For India I have that opalescent lake at noon and the Golconda Fort at dusk. Now I've added Rio in a blue haze from the top of the Sugarloaf.
Next time it can be the Taj Mahal, and the forest at the feet of the Christ, and my friend Michel's little beach bar to watch the dawn.
De

RSS

Members

Groups

Follow us

Website and downloads

Visit Diplo's IG website, www.diplomacy.edu/ig for info on programmes, events, and resources.

The full text of the book An Introduction to Internet Governance (6th edition) is available here. The translated versions in Serbian/BCS, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese are also available for download.

Interviews

Karlene Francis (Jamaica)
Ivar Hartmann
(Brazil)
Elona Taka (Albania)
Fahd Batayneh (Jordan)
Edward Muthiga (Kenya)
Nnenna Nwakanma (Côte d'Ivoire)
Xu Jing (China)
Gao Mosweu (Botswana)
Jamil Goheer (Pakistan)
Virginia (Ginger) Paque (Venezuela)