The Regional Preparatory Meeting for IGF for Latin America and the Caribbean kicked off yesterday in Quito. There are circa 100 participants. Many viewpoints are currently being raised on various issues that speak to how different paramters of the Internet are negotiated. Key points have been:
- Negotiating Censorship with Freedom of Expression
- Negotiating Intellectual Property with Openess/A2K
- Negotiating Security with Freedom
- Negotiating the roles of different stakeholders - Government and Civil Society
Access and Diversity have been raised as a key IG thematic area that the region must treat with. Connecitivity is still a concern as is cost and access especially by the poorest/most excluded members of society. Diversity has been coming up by various country viewpoints and the appropriation of the Internet for Social Change. There is a project in Brazil looking at Digital Storytelling/Narratives for Psychiatric Patients and the APC is using Digital Storytelling techniques for showcasing and protecting the rights of women.
So far the similarities of the challenges facing many of the countries of the region have been striking and bonds the different countries for the possibility of leveraging partnerships for greater strength.
Bernadette Lewis - " Talking about access.... meaninful access to information...is about giving ppl access to information that is going to have a meaningful impact on their life."
- Cultural Heritage and Content - info that is unique to the different countries.
- Citizen Enablement for Entrepreneurship and Content Creation for revenue generating businesses.
- Policy Internvention and Unviersal Service Arrangements
- Multi-Stakeholder Collaboration
- Community Advocacy
- Education and Raising Public Awareness
What is the role of Government? Is there a need for intervention?
How to empower communities?
While there has been some representation from the Caribbean CTU and some regional participants, there is room for much much more participation from the Caribbean. What strategies can be employed to involve the C of LAC?