Diplo Internet Governance Community

Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.

How many times have we looked at a task and turned away because we think its impossible? On the average I think I do that about four times a day. Ok maybe a little bit more or a little bit less but all the same I know I have let a lot of ideas go because I thought they were impracticable. Take for example, in 2003 here in my country Nigeria, when applications on mobile phones grew and multiplied, I figured it would be a matter of time before we have phones we could use to read novels and educational books. Or better still a little electronic notebook just for downloading and reading books. Immediately I knocked of the idea, first of all who would want an electronic notebook when you can read from your laptop. When the Amazon Kindle was released I almost screamed; THAT WAS MY IDEA!!!!

So what is this all about? Perspective I would say. We need to look at things from a different perspective. I have read a lot of books about positive thinking. Napoleon Hill books are my favourite. I do think positively but then I realise that my greatest enemy is fear, the fear of failure. So I am afraid to act so I won’t fail. At least I can go through life without failing. How wrong I was. So I am sharing this with those of us who may have come face-to-face with the idea that some things are impossible. They are not, believe me they are not. It all depends on where you stand. Perspective!

A few of us know about the David and Goliath story. For those of us who don’t know, it is a story from the Christian Holy Book, the Bible. David is a young lad who came face to face with a giant called Goliath. Now Goliath was from the enemy’s camp and he challenged any one from David’s camp for a fight. Eventually David knocked out Goliath with a stone. Everyone in David’s camp thought it was impossible to defeat Goliath because he was too large. But I guess David figure that yes this guy was too large so my stone cannot miss him. Perspective!

Walt Disney once said “It is kind of fun to do the impossible”. He was responding to a question on his success with cartoon characters. When Walt first had the idea of animated motion picture, most video production companies laughed at the idea. Already real motion pictures were running on television screens so why would people want to see drawings that moved? Well till date animated pictures are topping the box office. Perspective!!!

Thinking positively is the beginning, but living positively is the ultimate test of achieving success. So when next you hear “impossible” think again. Impossible is an opinion not a fact. Do you think that in future, Diplo Foundation will be the largest network of associates dealing with Internet issues? Impossible? Think again.

Have fun

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Great piece. I think DiploFoundation is almost there if not already there.
Nothing is impossible. Getting there...just be proud we are all part of this great challenge. :)

RSS

Members

Groups

Follow us

Website and downloads

Visit Diplo's IG website, www.diplomacy.edu/ig for info on programmes, events, and resources.

The full text of the book An Introduction to Internet Governance (6th edition) is available here. The translated versions in Serbian/BCS, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese are also available for download.

Interviews

Karlene Francis (Jamaica)
Ivar Hartmann
(Brazil)
Elona Taka (Albania)
Fahd Batayneh (Jordan)
Edward Muthiga (Kenya)
Nnenna Nwakanma (Côte d'Ivoire)
Xu Jing (China)
Gao Mosweu (Botswana)
Jamil Goheer (Pakistan)
Virginia (Ginger) Paque (Venezuela)