Diplo Internet Governance Community

Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.

Kassim Mohammed AL-Hassani is the Director General for the government Internet services, the only internet service provider in Iraq, called SCIS (State Company for Internet Services), which is part of Ministry of Communications.

Kassim has a degree in Computer studies from South Bank University in UK and Postgraduate Certificate in Telecommunication Regulations and MA in Communications Policy. As a constant learner, Kassim is also looking forward to do PhD this year.

>> Kassim, can you tell us more about your professional career? We are interested to learn more of your background.

I worked in different governmental divisions and private sector companies. Some highlights are my work as Manager for Basrah Telecom in Iraq and News Manager for Associated Press Televisions and Systems Manager for Channel 5 and many Telecoms companies like T-Mobile, O2, Ericson, NTL, Cable and Wireless, among others.

>> Impressive! Apart from your hands-on experience, do you also get involved in other activities?

Yes. I have been to many conferences outside Iraq like China telecommunications conference as well as many of ITU meetings like WCR07 as Focal Point for Iraqi Governments. In addition to that I've been to London with British telecoms discussing the effect of technology in climate changes.

>> If people are interested to learn more from you regarding these conferences, how can they contact you?

You can contact me by email khassani [at] iraqimoc.net

>> You took the Internet Governance Capacity Building Programme in 2008, Kassim. What can you tell us about it?

The course gave me more information and inside experience of Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and other countries' experiences. This is great and would be very difficult to achieve without the interactive tools and the possibility that Diplo platform gives participants to ask live questions and collaborate. These possibilities are improved with the weekly meeting of all students for discussions and presentations about their experience in the field of policies and regulations.

Diplo is doing great and we learned so much from the course - specially during the online meetings. Overall, the course was impressive and up to date and with a wide coverage of the IG subjects, not to mention excellent tutors. The initial groups were arranged regionally and this is positive to exchange experiences with our neighbors.

>> Which next steps would you plan for the near future, Kassim?

I would like to accomplish the Master degree from Diplo. There are courses on IG and related subjects that seem interesting and I want to know more details about them.

>> Thanks a lot, Kassim! For information about other educational programmes offered by Diplo, you can browse the Catalogue at http://www.diplomacy.edu/Courses/display.asp?Topic=Catalogue

Views: 431

Members

Groups

Follow us

Website and downloads

Visit Diplo's IG website, www.diplomacy.edu/ig for info on programmes, events, and resources.

The full text of the book An Introduction to Internet Governance (6th edition) is available here. The translated versions in Serbian/BCS, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese are also available for download.

Interviews

Karlene Francis (Jamaica)
Ivar Hartmann
(Brazil)
Elona Taka (Albania)
Fahd Batayneh (Jordan)
Edward Muthiga (Kenya)
Nnenna Nwakanma (Côte d'Ivoire)
Xu Jing (China)
Gao Mosweu (Botswana)
Jamil Goheer (Pakistan)
Virginia (Ginger) Paque (Venezuela)