Diplo Internet Governance Community

Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.

Pascal Bekono is a young Cameroonian graduated in Computer Sciences. As a consultant, he has worked within the German Technical cooperation in Cameroon and international NGOs on issues of poverty reduction strategy papers, millennium development goals, information and communications technology for development and fair trade.

Pascal has a large experience with network building, and has used this in his work as the WSIS 2005 youth country coordinator in partnership with TakingITGlobal and the Canadian Government. His experience was also shared through his work as a delegate of La Francophonie to the Global Forum on Youth and ICT4D 2007 in Geneva, organized by ITU and UN-GAID. Pascal was also invited to the World Youth Congress in Quebec and to the Japan Youth Forum for Development in Tokyo on August 2008.

>>Pascal, what can you tell us about the Internet Governance Capacity Building Programme 2008?

This program enabled me until now to almost determine all the extent of Internet Governance, and to note the full panoply of activities and studies undertaken up to now.

It is fascinating, because at the same time as we learn, we can also study the policies setting-up locally and globally.

The network that is established between participants enables us to act and to know all opportunities and activities around Internet Governance.

>>How does studying remotely with Diplo feel like?

The environment of work is pleasant, through the discussions, the forum and posted comments. We determine constructive differences with respect to the others.

Each classmate contributes to the interactions sharing his background, origins and experience, encouraging all participants.

The fact that the first phase of the programme created groups based on geographical location certainly contributed to stimulate the participation, by bringing back cases which are very often similar. The good dynamics of the foundations phase allowed us to serenely engage ourselves in the following phase with classmates from the other continents.

This second phase was really instructive, and each topic was widely treated. It was interesting to work with other people who have rich professional experiences and background.

I am delighted by the work done by our tutors. First of all, they did a good management of the discussions, concerned about the participation of all. They were also always available in the response to our concerns and prompt in the reactions. I must acknowledge that they gave us confidence and stimulated the participation of several members through their messages, attitudes, kindness and generosity.

>>What are the next steps for you?

The next step for me is firstly to participate on the IG research phase, and secondly act locally and globally on Internet Governance issues. IGCBP08 has offered me a lot of tools to achieve my aspirations. I have begun to act locally through an analysis within the ICT National Agency by reason of my participation to the IGCBP08.

Views: 165

Members

Groups

Follow us

Website and downloads

Visit Diplo's IG website, www.diplomacy.edu/ig for info on programmes, events, and resources.

The full text of the book An Introduction to Internet Governance (6th edition) is available here. The translated versions in Serbian/BCS, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese are also available for download.

Interviews

Karlene Francis (Jamaica)
Ivar Hartmann
(Brazil)
Elona Taka (Albania)
Fahd Batayneh (Jordan)
Edward Muthiga (Kenya)
Nnenna Nwakanma (Côte d'Ivoire)
Xu Jing (China)
Gao Mosweu (Botswana)
Jamil Goheer (Pakistan)
Virginia (Ginger) Paque (Venezuela)