Diplo Internet Governance Community

Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.

Hello,

I was advised by my doctor here to have some injections before I go to India, but I did not see any sign of concern or need to do that since it was not mentioned by the organizers!

Views: 153

Replies to This Discussion

Hi... this is a good point to explore, Hanane, thanks for bringing it up. I was required to get a yellow fever immunization as part of the application process for my visa for India, because we have yellow fever here in Venezuela. But I have been advised to take malaria precautions. The new preventive treatment is an antibiotic, and has far fewer side effects than the traditional preventive treatment for malaria, as well as being more effective. I have not decided whether I will take it or not, as the Hyderabad area is low-risk for malaria, although other areas, and the area surrounding Hyderabad are higher risk.

What other precautions were advised for you and others?
One important point is to use mosquito repellent, and long-sleeved, long-legged clothing is advised. (India Punjabi-style clothing is recommended as comfortable and appropriate for tourism).

I found this at: http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/india.html#7

Summary of recommendations:

All travelers should visit either their personal physician or a travel health clinic 4-8 weeks before departure.
Malaria: Prophylaxis with Lariam, Malarone, or doxycycline is recommended for all areas, except for areas at altitudes >2,000 m (6,561 ft) in Himachal Pradesh, Jammu, Kashmir, and Sikkim.
Vaccinations:

Hepatitis A: Recommended for all travelers

Typhoid: Recommended for all travelers

Polio: One-time booster recommended for any adult traveler who completed the childhood series but never had polio vaccine as an adult

Yellow fever: Required for all travelers arriving from or transiting through a yellow-fever-infected area in Africa or the Americas. Not recommended otherwise.

Japanese encephalitis: For long-term (>1 month) travelers to rural areas or travelers who may engage in extensive unprotected outdoor activities in rural areas, especially after dusk

Hepatitis B: For travelers who may have intimate contact with local residents, especially if visiting for more than 6 months

Rabies: For travelers who may have direct contact with animals and may not have access to medical care

Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR): Two doses recommended for all travelers born after 1956, if not previously given

Tetanus-diphtheria: Revaccination recommended every 10 years
I have not been advised here to take any vaccinations. I already have my DPT shots. Thanks for bringing this up. I shall ask the embassy regarding this (yellow fever vaccinations etc). I am aware only that if you stay in India for more than a year, they require you to take an HIV test upon returning to your home country.
@Ginger, I was advised as well to take Malaria injection and the tablets as well.
here they don't ask for any kind of vaccinations, anyway I count on you ladies for such things :)
Hi Friends, when travelling from some countries of South America you are requested to have "fiebre amarilla" vaccine already done 15 days before departure (yellow fever? is the translation???????? ...help....).
So I will do this asap tomorrow, this was not the case when we went to India for the ICANN meeting in February.
Best
Olga
Yes, Olga, for instance, Venezuela has "fiebre amarillo" or yellow fever, so I have my vaccination and certificate. I needed it to apply for my visa to India, although I already had it, because I needed it to get a visa to Brazil for the Rio IGF last year. Don't know about Argentina.
hey you are scaring me here... i will wear sheilds from head to toes and will not go out.. NEVER ...

hey come on! it cant be that bad , just watch what you going to eat or drink and for insects sure

im itching already! hh
hello,
it depends to country. I asked a Japanese guy who was at India (and Japanese take care too much of such issues :) ) if he took injections and he said no.
Great! , ill put down the sheilds .. :))
Hi everybody, please note that common sense should reign in all of these decisions. We are posting a lot of information, so that each of us can make informed decisions, depending on our situations. We need to remember these precautions are necessary for ANY travel, not particularly for India. In fact, as you saw above, the yellow fever vaccination I must have to travel, is so that I cannot spread yellow fever from Venezuela into India, not because India has yellow fever. Most of you do not need this vaccination.

We all need to be careful with water and food, no matter where we are. But it may be a good idea to carry an anti-diarrhea medication that you know works for you, as well as any other medications you sometimes use.

While my sisters traveled in India (outside of the meetings) they wore Punjabi clothes that they bought economically after arriving in India. These are light cotton, cool, long-sleeved and long-legged, and comfortable. For women, they help the decision of what to wear to be appropriate and comfortable. Although we are "tourists" it seems to be appropriate attire, protects from mosquitoes, and leaves you with a lovely souvenir to take home.

Any other ideas? I am really looking forward to the IGF, meeting all of you, and exploring a little of India!
Hi all, it has become normal to get a yellow fever injection when you are traveling since it is one of the main requirements in some countries.

RSS

Members

Groups

Follow us

Website and downloads

Visit Diplo's IG website, www.diplomacy.edu/ig for info on programmes, events, and resources.

The full text of the book An Introduction to Internet Governance (6th edition) is available here. The translated versions in Serbian/BCS, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese are also available for download.

Interviews

Karlene Francis (Jamaica)
Ivar Hartmann
(Brazil)
Elona Taka (Albania)
Fahd Batayneh (Jordan)
Edward Muthiga (Kenya)
Nnenna Nwakanma (Côte d'Ivoire)
Xu Jing (China)
Gao Mosweu (Botswana)
Jamil Goheer (Pakistan)
Virginia (Ginger) Paque (Venezuela)