Diplo Internet Governance Community

Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.

Please prepare for tomorrows sessions. Mark ones that you want to visit. We need to cover all issues and topics so we need to make a schedule for all of us (tomorrow morning).

At the end of the day I am expecting from you to make a brief report on sessions that you be on. As a replay to the discussion "Programme for fellows for Day ZZZ" (where ZZZ means the day of the IGF) you need to post your report with your explanation of the session and discussion and your comments.

Views: 170

Replies to This Discussion

1st day I attend the Multilingualism session in the main room, they talk about the important of multilingual and how to copy the experiment of Indian experiment , they have 22 official language and 200 deferent accents and they have multilingual in media and schools material.
2ed I attend the workshop in ISRC - Internet sustainable research center (Sustainable development) Global future changing <> internet governance
General crisis
- environmental
- socio
- geo-economic
current trends and policies
Ø conventional world – market forces and policy reform
Ø barbarization (disruption)– fortress world and breakdown
Ø great transition (can not be managed by conventional world/people’s different value, preferences) eco-communalism and new paradigm
Dear every body:

The day 2 of IGF was also full like yesterday. I participated to four (4) meeting: Cyber security and cyber crime; Internet of the things and the transboundary Internet.
The first subject was discussed on several workshops and I attended to ITU main session from 9.30 to 10 and diplo workshop at diplo booth. In the first workshop, India panelist Mr. CHANDRAST present policy and action about cyber security. India involved many stakeholders and analysed the dimension of the threat. Mr Michael Lewis stated that Cybercrime as a business that use ICT for crime purpose. He discusses also the necessity to involve several actors (organisation, bank, ministry, civil society, and international partners). Government must coordinate all those institution to build cyber security network.
The second workshop of the diplo members was about “yes” or “not” government “to regulate internet” to ensure cyber security.
The thir (3th) workshop was about Internet of things (IoTs). Three (3) panelists discuss successively on Intranet of goods; Internet of thing and environment then Internet of things and human right. Some technologies are developing today to allow identification and tracking goods in a given area (local internet of things). Some applications such store goods can be monitoring by Intranet of goods and larges opportunities can be used for business. The question here is how to deactivate the good buy by consumer.
The second panelist shows how internet of thing can change the word via the protection of environment. This technology will provide sensitivity to the earth (skin of earth) and will allow proactive and systematic management of the environment. The last panelist stated that internet of thing will provide opportunity to protect human right because of possibility to control every thing, for example business transaction, and to track information.
I was disappointed by the workshop on “transboundary Internet” because panelist read only the document on their hand. I let the workshop to attend the debate of the main session on Cyber security and cyber crime.
Thank
Report for December 4, 2008

I could attend the following sessions:

09:00 - 10:30 Workshop 42. IPV6: The Solution for the Future Internet

I learnt the following from the session:

1) India and European commission are working together for IPV6 awareness, testing and implementation through the project 6Choice. The Indian government is planning for incentives for those who implement IPV6. They are also conducting free workshops for spreading awareness on IT literacy. One workshop is scheduled in Pune, Maharashtra, India in this month. The Indian telecom regulatory (TRAI) has mandated that all not equipments should be able to support IPV6.

2) One presenter shared the various deployments of IPV6 happening across the globe through the 6Depoly project. The case studies mentioned included US - Bechtel, Comcast, Department of Defence, India - ERNET, China - Cernet, CN2, Beijing Olympics, Europe - Geant2, Ses Astra and Free. The 6deploy project has free e-learning courses (www.6diss.org/e-learning), testbeds and helpdesk.

3) One participant pointed out that there is 1 Class A IPV4 subnet available for India which is not much utilized as compared to 10+ for China and 40+ Class A IPV4 subnets for the USA.

4) I raised a concern that IPV6 may slow down the Internet (in Indian Conditions) as it has security builtin into it, but the panel said that IPV6 does increase latency but would not make a huge difference for broadband connections.

5) One panelist from ETSI spoke about the open source testing packages (www.go4-it.eu) developed by them for checking IPV6 conformance.

6) An ISP from India (Sify) shared their view that they would recommend a dual stack approach where IPV4 and IPV6 run together. He also mentioned that the IE browser automatically prefers an IPV6 address resolution (incase both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses are available for the required web page). He also mentioned that we need dual stack firewalls and web applications for their proposed dual stack approach.

7) One panelist spoke about the readiness of .ae ccTLD for IPV6. He also mentioned that UAE, Egypt and Tunisia are working on IPV6 testing / implementation which would connect them to the 6bone of Europe.

8) One panelist made a nice comment that vendors should not raise the cost of their equipments just because they support IPV6. He claimed that it takes a very little cost to make the equipments IPV6 enable.

11:00 - 12:30 Panel Discussion - Fostering security, privacy and openness

I learnt the following from the session:
1) One panelist mentioned that the manufacturers of mobiles, computers etc. should integrate controls in their systems to prevent children from accessing unwanted web sites

2) Other panelist said that parents are equally responsible to protect their children.

3) One good point made was that normally laws are made by those who have good experience on the subject, but in case of cyberspace the younger generation is smarter than the experienced people. So, it’s tough to make laws.

I was at the diplo booth from 2:30 to 4:00pm.

16:00 - 17:30 Workshop 40. Evolution of the Root Server System

Nice session. I learnt the following from the session:

1) There are 12 organizations who maintain the 13 root servers of the world (Verisign maintains 2 root servers). These organizations are not volunteers, they are well funded.

2) There are 166+ instances of these original 13 root servers. These instances are scattered all across the globe. India has 4 instances (2 in Mumbai, 1 in Delhi and 1 in Chennai).

3) The Anycast technology is used to create instances. Using anycast all the instances of a root server appear to have same ip address. So when a DNS query is made the geographically nearest root server instance responds to the query (done using BGP protocol). Advantages of anycast include high fault tolerance, load balancing and faster speed. Disadvantages include high system complexity and complex troubleshooting.

4) The root zone has less than 300 entries while the .com zone has more than 2,00,000 entries.

Thanks for reading. Let me know incase something is missing or I have comprehended it incorrectly.

Love, Danny
nice post with picture, ammar!!!

RSS

Members

Groups

Follow us

Website and downloads

Visit Diplo's IG website, www.diplomacy.edu/ig for info on programmes, events, and resources.

The full text of the book An Introduction to Internet Governance (6th edition) is available here. The translated versions in Serbian/BCS, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese are also available for download.

Interviews

Karlene Francis (Jamaica)
Ivar Hartmann
(Brazil)
Elona Taka (Albania)
Fahd Batayneh (Jordan)
Edward Muthiga (Kenya)
Nnenna Nwakanma (Côte d'Ivoire)
Xu Jing (China)
Gao Mosweu (Botswana)
Jamil Goheer (Pakistan)
Virginia (Ginger) Paque (Venezuela)