Diplo Internet Governance Community

Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.

8.00 Shuttle from hotels
9.00 Briefing at the Diplo booth at IGF Village (must come)
9:30 Workshop 53 "Internet and Climate Change", ITU (recommendation)
9:30 Main Session - Panel Discussion "The Dimensions of Cybersecurity and Cybercrime: A Mapping of Issues and our Current Capabilities", ITU (recommended)
10.30 Debate at Diplo booth (recommended)
12.00 Presentation of Research Phase of IGCB, Diplo Booth (every two hours)
14.00 Network Neutrality, Room 1.05, Diplo (must come)
16:30 Dynamic Coalition: Internet and Climate Change (recommendation)
18.15 Internal meeting with Canadian gov. representatives, same room as today (must come)

Reports for today's session should goes as replays to this post.

Views: 179

Replies to This Discussion

My schedule for 2nd day:

9:00 will report on booth

10:30 Participeting in Debate

14:00 attending session on Net Neutrality.
Programme for NKURUNZIZA Jean Paul for Day 2 : Thursday 4th December
9:30 to 11: 00 : Dimensions of cybercrime and cyber security : Main session room
11:00 to 12:00 : Access to local culture and local language : Room 2
14:30’to 16:00’ : Network neutrality : Room 5
16:00 to 18:00 : Dynamic coalition : Internet and Climate change : Room 7
I would be doing the following set of activities in the course of the day and blogging about it with my own observations

9:00 Briefing
9:30 Cybersecurity
10:30 Debate
14:00 Network Neutrality
16:30 Internet and Climate Change
This is what I will be doing

9.00 Briefing at the Diplo booth at IGF Village (must come)
9:30 Main Session - Panel Discussion "The Dimensions of Cybersecurity and Cybercrime: A Mapping of Issues and our Current Capabilities", ITU (recommended)
10.30 Debate at Diplo booth (recommended)
12.00 Presentation of Research Phase of IGCB, Diplo Booth (every two hours)
14.00 Network Neutrality, Room 1.05, Diplo (must come)
16:30 OECD Future of the Internet Economy
18.15 Internal meeting with Indian gov. representatives, same room as today (must come)
IPv6: THE SOLUTION FOR THE FUTURE OF THE INTERNET (09:30-11:00)

The moderator was very straight-forward in reacting that we are "hungry for IP space." The transition from IPv4 to IPv6 needs urgent promotion since the adoption and operation of IPv6 networks and services are necessary to develop the future of the Internet. There was positive encouragement when the moderator pointed that technology and applications are ready.

This positive reaction was evident for the Euro-India Co-operation project called 6CHOICE which is working towards network services and experimental activities across Europe and India. The speaker further pointed out that the benefits are high with better Internet services. I do remember reading months ago about the Philippine situation with regards to IPv6. It seems that the Philippines is behind, with only the Department of Science and Technology and certain universities deploying IPv6. Universities in the Philippines will be tapped to promote awareness for the IPv6 transition. I doubt even if half of the Filipinos are aware of this transition but as the forum stressed more on targeted awareness programs, then I think tapping the academe for this awareness program is a plausible idea. Plus, as pointed out in the forum, this awareness program should be included in the curriculum of training institutions.

Let me just focus on what Martin Potts presented to give everyone an idea of the deployment of IPv6 worldwide.

North America Deployment:
[1] MoonV6
[2] Metronet 6
[3] Bechtel - an engineering company in the US that partnered with Microsoft, CISCO
[4] Comcast - biggest cable TV network in the US and upgraded to IPv6 in order to support future needs
[5] Department of Defense - the deployment to IPv6 was to support future combat systems that require such capabilities (by 2010)
[6] Sprint/Nextel - began deploying IPv6 in 1997 which allowed them to deploy wireless connections

Asia Deployment
[1] ERNET - Indian Education and Research Network that connected 45 universities
[2] WIDE
[3] Live-e! - the deployment was to gather, process and share "environmental information"; anybody can access and even look up the weather
[4] CERNET 2 - China Educational and Research Network connecting more than 200 of China's research networks
[5] CNGI - led by the China government
[6] CN2 - China telecom
[7] IPv6 @ the BeiijingOlympics - the deployment during the olympics were evident in the lighting controls that saved 10% of energy, and surveillance and sensor systems

Africa Deployment
[1] AfriNIC/AfNOG - AfriNIC is the Internet registry and AfNOG is the forum to promote discussions

European Deployment
[1] GEANT - deployed IPv6 since 2004
[2] TeliaSonera - transit networks, basically for engineers
[3] SES Astra - a direct-to-home broadcast satellite in Europe
[4] Deutschland Online - started in July 2006, for the purpose of a safer, more reliable INternet
[5] Free (France)- French ISP and the first to operate and deploy IPv6; deployment was to increase ability to optimize service deployment

Looking over the list of IPv6 deployment made em realize how much developing countries need to be informed. Just in Asia alone, China seems to be leading.

APNIC (for Asia Pacific IP allocation) director-general was in the audience and pointed out that the 2 year allocation of addresses will run out. He shared that there were requests for IP addresses that have been rejected by APNIC. So his main point was to make sure that planning has to be done. I think the reason why most developing countries are lagging behind in this is because of lack of planning. In Asia alone, China seems to be very advanced in this aspect. The Philippines is still on the process of campaigning for making Filipinos aware of the transition. I think we are on the right track by starting with some information dissemination. We have to start somewhere.
My day 2 program
9.00: Briefing at Diplo booth
9.30: Security (diplo)
10.30: The future of ICAN
14.00: The Internet of Things
16.00: The transboundary of the Internet;
here is my breifing to 9:00-10:30 steps towards an internet that is multi lingual yet remains global

sharing experiences from different countries
-the first presentation was by Mr.qusai al Shatti (kuwait)
explaines the arab needs to be on the map and to make a real presence on the internet by defining challenges for istablishing a self sustainable presence on the net as follows
- Global trend
- preservation of identity and cultur
- outreach
- content tools
then defining the major players in developing the arab presence on internet
- content driven - service oriented enterprises
- online community
-software industry
- open sourse

the lessons taken from other langs who already created a self presence :
-collaborative efforrt among all stakeholders
- allow other to help
- preservation , coimmunication andnot isolation

what tools would be more useful for the linguistic communities that try to creat the sustainable presence
- search engines
- localized content tools and online application
- mobile tools

Meriam Nisbet (UNISCO)
ways that unisco works in helping communities
-unisco is helping with IDN process and providing efforts like accessibility of multi lingual content(content creation and multi lingual websites inclidng multilingial domain names )
- capacity building using technology and supporting libraries and archives , information literacy workshops , preservation and digitization programs and training
in order to help the developing copuntries there should be an open training , education and learning to give those countries the chance to get to the resources
INTERNET and CLIMATE CHANGE.
The session was organised by ITU.

The moderator started by sharing his understanding of the topic.
ICT contributes around 2-3% of the overall green house emission (does not include broadcasting).

Then there were few examples how ICT is helping in reduction of Green house gases.
He talked about how IGF remote hubs is a step towards fighting global warming.
There is a need of more international co-ordination and the ITU focus group on ICT and climate change is working towards this. They are forming a methodology to estimate the impact of ICT on Climate. ITU is committed to becoming Carbon Neutral in the next 3 Years.

The other speaker was of the opinion that inorder to reduce Carbon emission ---its a huge opportunity for technical, economic and social innovation.
There is a need of :
---Intelligent infrastructure and supply Chain.
---Internet of things RFID.
--- Dematerialzaton of products,services,activities.

The next speaker apoke about how the increase in bandwidth will lead to reduction in power usage and the usge of sensor networks to reduce GHG.Its also very important to undestand the Life cycle of the product i.e. the amount of electricity used in its production to later stages.

The last speaker dicussed his project 'How internet can be used for climate change monitoring. early warning and mitigation at the Himalayas.'
Today the data centers are no more measured in terms of its data capacity i.e MB or GB but in terms of KW and MW.
My Highlights of IGF Day 2

The early morning ride on the bus and a rushed cup of coffee at the venue started a day which was to be busy to the end. My first session (9.30am) was “The Internet and Climate Change: how do we collaborate?” I know that one of the group said this evening that he didn’t find this very interesting, but perhaps because I was looking at it from a different viewpoint - from that of government, I found the content of the speakers' presentations of value to what we might need to consider for our small island country. Malcolm Johnson of ITU explained that ICTs are not only causing greenhouse gas emissions but that they can also contribute to diminishing the effects of these emissions and ITU is assisting in this effort; Don MacLean of the International Institute of Sustainable Development talked about scenarios to help develop strategies for minimizing the impacts of gas emission on climate change; Mark Carvell discussed energy saving approaches; and Graham Vickery of OECD explained how ICTs can be used to build better environments and transport systems. The second session (11am) was OECD’s Best Practice Forum on “Internet and the use of Public Sector Information”. This session was a little heavy going. Graham Vickery of OECD presented the "OECD Recommendation of the Council for Enhanced Access and More effective use of Public Sector Information (2008)” It lists 13 considerations for policy makers. I have the booklet with the list and its explanations. Chris Corban has been working as the Project Manager in Europe, ensuring that all the EU countries comply with the EU laws. Their project is called ePSIPlus (www.epsi.net ) and if there were two lessons that he has learned from its implementation is the requirement for leadership and someone to drive the initiative at a local level, and simplicity of the message so that it is easily understood by everyone. Rajeev Chawla talked about how the Indian government set up 20 million records relating to 7 million farmers in 30,000 villages being managed by 10,000 village officials, between 1999 and 2003. A major project but one which suffered bureaucratic blockages along the way, despite the fact that this was something the people wanted, and government didn’t have any other choice but to deliver. Access by poor farmers to these records has also been made possible by rural telecentres so that they don’t have to travel for hours to get the information, and for a small fee, they can get the information they want when they need it. This has been a real success story for India. Two other speakers - one from Finland and another from India - provided similar stories from their regions. In the afternoon, I attended the session (2pm) on “Towards a Code of Good Practice on Public Participation in Internet Governance” which did not meet my expectations until Marielia raised the use of hubs to enable distance students to view the IGF sessions. That was about the only time the panel talked about public participation so I am not so sure I got any ideas about Good Practice from that session. The final session (4pm) about “Access to Public Held Information with a Development Perspective” was a little bit more enlightening, but probably more so because I was able to relate to Professor Asari, India’s Information Commissioner’s presentation on the positive impacts on civil society and on government of India's Right To Information (RTI) Act. In the Cook Islands we have an Official Information Act which has been a valuable resource in the development of eGovernment as it requires government agencies to comply with the law and deliver information online. Luis (?) from Google talked about legal frameworks relating to access to information and Dr Prasad of the Statistical Institute described access to public library information. Ms Tamina Rama explained the development of their RTI Bill in Bangladesh. (I will put the writeups on these meetings on the Day 2 report space tomorrow). After a really heavy day, we then attended the prize giving of the Indian Group of Diplo students receiving their certificates and then all got herded onto the bus to take us to the Gala Dinner at a grand hotel in the middle of Hyderabad. It was a good wind-down time and we were able to experience a bit of Indian culture in dance and crafts. It was a great night and I was glad to be able to catch up with other Pacific Islands participants who are with the Internet Society and ICANN.
Today I attended three Sessions, assisted with IGF Secretariat, participated in the debates and had a great gala night.

Main Session 9:30 am -11:00 am Panel Discussion-Are we losing the Battle Against Cybercrime
During this session I assisted the IGF Secretariat in providing information to the scribes and the interpreters. I also assisted in the provision of name plates for the Panelists. The Panelists discussed the various approaches to the fighting of Cybercrime. Particular emphasis was laid on the collaborative efforts of setting Computer Emergency Response Teams (CERT)s especially between governments, accademia and the private sector. Experienses were drawn from from Sri Lanka, India and Tunisia. It was a general concensus at the end of the panel discussions that for there to be a rhobust response to the incedents of cybercrime thee was a need to form partnerships and alliances both locally and internationally. though most countries may not always agree on all issues, there is a common grounds from which to start with.

I was involved in the debate on Cybersecurity. We marshelled arguements in favour and against strict regulation of the internet to ensure cybersecurity.

Network Neutrality: Examining the Issues and Implications for Development 14:30 - 16:00
This Session was organised by Diplo. The session examined issues in the so called Netwrok Neutrality Debate from the technical perspective, the social as well as economic perspective. Some argued that already preference is being given to some packets to ensure that applications run properly. In conclussion all parties agreen that some form of parcket discrimination was necessary as far as the consumers were given a choice.

Open Discussion on Are we Losing The Battle Aginst Cybercrime and Fostering Security Privacy and Openness 15:00 -17:30 Hours
This session was an open discussion on the issues raised by the panels in the main session held earlier in the morning. In this session the participants discuss what they thought were the main issues to be addressed as raised in the marning sessions. Some of the issues raised included the effects of culture in the combat against cybercrime, digital illitracy of most parents, disparity in laws that are designed to combat similar offences in various countries and the role of individuals in combating cybercrime.

Gala Night
Well if you were not there then you missed.

1. I will attend ( IPv6 the solution for the future of Internet ) ant it’s been this session : 1st Movie show from Europe about the important of ipv6.
1ed there is present of the ipv6 projects and networks around the world and its properties. And show an example of using ipv6 in Beijing Olympic.
Then they show the efforts of (6deploy) www.6deploy.eu to improve the ipv6 .
3ed there is present of program to test the work of ipv6 and test the problems , then he show example of website problem.
4ed Presentation of regional experience Highlights by Alla-Aldien Alradi : UAE ( Etisalat ), and then he show work of IPV6 Task force in UAE and Egypt , Tunisia.
2. Attending the Diplo debate about the Cyber Security.
3. I attend Mr.Rajnesh from the Internet Society , he is responsible of IPv6 in southeast Asia , and we get dissection about ipv6 Task Force and he say the task force make media activity like make meeting with the government institutes, private company, make a research with the university and research center…… etc . also make to informed about the importance of the transfer from v4 and v6 , and its there is expecting to reach v6 in all the world at 2020 !! so every developing country must have v6 task force.
Internet and Climate Change: how we can collaborate?
by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).

ICT contributes around 2-3% of the overall green house emission, the moderator discussed about how ICT is helping in reduction of green house effect.

then the first speaker discussed about carbon neutrality, server farms lead to more electricity consumption, and remote hubs will also lead to more green house gases..
then one speaker discussed abt high bandwidth low carbon , Intelligent infra & supply chain ,
dematrialization of products and service.
Internet of things:- RFID
the final panelist discussed abt the project they do in nepal , abt how internet can be used for climate change.

Network Neutrality: Examining the Issues and Implications for Development 14:30 - 16:00
organized by Diplo.
The discussion as really good and informative , learned different perspectives of Network Neutrality. technical and economic perspective.

RSS

Members

Groups

Follow us

Website and downloads

Visit Diplo's IG website, www.diplomacy.edu/ig for info on programmes, events, and resources.

The full text of the book An Introduction to Internet Governance (6th edition) is available here. The translated versions in Serbian/BCS, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese are also available for download.

Interviews

Karlene Francis (Jamaica)
Ivar Hartmann
(Brazil)
Elona Taka (Albania)
Fahd Batayneh (Jordan)
Edward Muthiga (Kenya)
Nnenna Nwakanma (Côte d'Ivoire)
Xu Jing (China)
Gao Mosweu (Botswana)
Jamil Goheer (Pakistan)
Virginia (Ginger) Paque (Venezuela)