Stay networked. Get informed. Broadcast your projects.
The issue of Internet Governance (IG) has been receiving attention on the world stage through the proceedings and institutions of the United Nations’ World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Geneva 2003 – Tunis 2005 and various regional associated events. In pursuit of a mandate from Caribbean Community (CARICOM) ministers with responsibility for information and communications technology (ICT) for a regionally coordinated development approach and the CARICOM Secretariat’s enlistment of the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU) to address the issue of Internet Governance for the region, the CTU, in collaboration with CARICOM, staged four sessions of its multi-stakeholder Caribbean Internet Governance Forum (CIGF)
* 2005 September 5 – 6 (Georgetown, Guyana)
* 2006 November 1 - 3 (Pt. Salines, Grenada) held jointly with Caribbean Internet Forum (CIF)
* 2007 August16 – 17 (Curacao)
* 2008 July 23 - 24 (Curacao) held jointly with LACNIC
These fora have identified IG issues of relevance to the Caribbean, initiated consensus building on Caribbean positions for participation in the WSIS and the global IG Forum and for implementation of the WSIS Plan of Action. Major outcomes to date include:
* Building capacity and raising public awareness in the Caribbean of Internet Governance issues
* Enhancing the relationship between Caribbean Internet policy-makers / practitioners and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
* Mobilising and facilitating the participation of Caribbean ICT Stakeholders in global Internet Governance Fora
* Establishing of the CTU’s on-line forum for discussion of regional IG issues and facilitating collaboration and consensus building (visit http://ctu.int/InternetGovernance for CTU’s CIGF meetings reports)
* Completion of an Internet governance policy framework for the Caribbean
* Identification of priority areas and particular actions relating to the completion of an appropriate Caribbean Internet Governance Framework and development of regional Internet infrastructure.
* Facilitating the design and implementation of Internet Exchange Points in the Caribbean